Login    Forum    Members   Search    FAQ

Board index » Mold Making » Faces

Post subject: Casting open eyes
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:14 pm 

Is there a way I can make a facial cast with the model's eyes open? I heard there is some sort of eye protector or shield to put on the eyes. Does anyone know about this type of process, and what and where I can get this type of device?

Post subject: Re: Casting open eyes
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:53 pm 

Sculpting open eyes is the single most difficult thing to in life casting. It helps if you have traditional sculpting in your background. Even fine art sculptors find it challenging to create a natural look to the eyes in their sculptures.
I knew a life caster who put numbing eye drops in the eyes of his own children and cast them with alginate. I would NOT do that under any circumstances.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:02 pm 

There are several DVDs that show ways of opening eyes, but I still sculpt in the open eyes myself. You do not just peel off part of the eyelid of your cast. Instead you need to do some reconstructing to really look right. I find it much easier to add clay or wax to the plaster cast rather than plaster on plaster. I used lifecast heads as starting points for my sculptures that usually required extensive modifications, including opening the eyes.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:08 am 

Whether it's possible or not to cast eyes open, I think its insanity to put another human being through something like that! It's a simple matter to carve open eyes if you just practice first with a few sample face casts.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:07 pm 

Casting with eyes open would require full-sclera contact lenses that are quite expensive and can be dangerous to the wearer if you've never worn or applied them before. The potential for eye damage is too great a risk even for most professional lifecasters. It is much easier to simply sculpt them open after the positive is cast. Another technique is to make a mask of thin alginate around the eyes while they are shut, then the subject opens their eyes. You then allow the alginate to go off. Next, carefully release the eyes and allow them to shut. The eyes are now closed under the alginate, which have been formed with an 'open look'.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:16 pm 

I just found this video on YouTube that doesn't show you how to cast open eyes, but it's really good at showing you how to create open eyes. I hope this help you out -

Sculpting Open Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1hn10HXs7c

Board index » Mold Making » Faces