Login    Forum    Members   Search    FAQ

Board index » Mold Making » Full Body

Post subject: Full Head Lifecast with Body Double
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:38 pm 

I want to make a mold using Body Double to do a full head lifecast with open eyes, cast pigmented silicone DIRECTLY in the mold. I plan to use a silicone release agent and rigid urethane for filler. I want to be able to reproduce several decent display heads using this mold.

Is Body Double flexible enough to be applied in one continuous layer over the model's head down to the shoulders and removed without cutting it? That way it would be possible to create a one-piece Body Double silicone mold. Of course the mother mold would have to be in two parts.

Post subject: Re: Full Head Lifecast with Body Double
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:04 pm 

If you make a two-piece mold, apply the Smooth-On in one piece and the pop bandages for your mother mold, then cut the Smooth-On with a pair of blunt nose scissors about two inches from the front of the bandages. This will allow you to marry the mold back together when you are done.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:05 pm 

You may have problems removing the silicone mold from your model’s head. If the silicone mold is to thin it will tear as you attempt to bring the material over the head. Consider a slit from the shoulder towards the neck. You will still have problems bringing the silicone up over the head without tearing the material and creating a lot of discomfort for your model. I would make a two-piece mold. You can make registration marks on the first half of the mold, the second half will align very well and leave a small parting line that will clean up in your positive. It’s a little more work, but with better results.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:13 pm 

Plaster bandages make a sturdy support for the Body Double if you are just doing a few castings. For a permanent mold, do a casting in the silicone/plaster bandage mold and after it is cured remove the mother mold. Leave the silicone on the casting and create a new mother mold. Use plaster mixed with fiberglass fibers as a permanent support mold. Use plenty of release agent to avoid any trouble casting with Body Double.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:43 pm 

I did this to a friend of mine who is bald--problem with the body double is that it doesnt allow body heat to escape so we had to stop 3/4 of the way thru as he wanted the silicone off NOW-- just be careful--2 part is better or alginate.

Also Lifeform is awesome as it does NOT stick to hair and sets quickly. I am starting to use it a lot and may switch to it completely.

Board index » Mold Making » Full Body