Login    Forum    Members   Search    FAQ

Board index » Mold Making » General Mold-Making

Post subject: Casting a Guitarist's Hands
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:24 pm 

I want cast a set of hands positioned on a guitar. I would like to do the final cast in cold cast bronze and I want to attach them onto a real Fender guitar. The right hand strumming the guitar will not be a problem, but how can I cast the left hand around the neck of the guitar positioned on the strings? I thought I could break off the thumb and later re-attach it to the hand after it is in place. I have some experience casting with resin, so I think I can manage that, but I would welcome any other suggestions. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Casting a Guitarist's Hands
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:00 am 

Hey Deano, I had to face a problem slightly similar to yours when I was casting the hands for my “Spider Web” sculpture because I needed the fingers to grasp a chain link fence. Since the fingers did a full 360 through the fence, I used a thick gooey mix of alginate, so it would hold as I applied it over the hands as they held-on in position to the fence. The model was able to wiggle her hands free without a problem, but there was no way to release the hold of the cast after it had cured. I used your current idea and broke off the fingers to release the cast. I then later re-attached the fingers when the cast of the hand was in place. As long as you are comfortable with “re-attaching severed digits”, you should have no problem.

I also had the model press herself up against the fence to make sure there were indents of the fence pressed into her breasts. The guitar strings will add similar indents to your guitarist's fingers.

Happy castin’!

Attachments:
File comment: "Spider Web", part 3 of my "Heaven & Hell" series.
spiderweb.jpg
spiderweb.jpg [ 57.92 KiB | Viewed 4771 times ]

Post subject: Re: Casting a Guitarist's Hands
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:32 pm 

If you’re looking to make the cast without having to break off the fingers, you may be able to make a box around the left hand, as well as the neck of the guitar. Just make sure it has a solid connection to the neck of the guitar to avoid moving it by accident. Make sure that you have plenty of seams when making your mold.
Some resin, if de-molded quickly after pouring, will remain slightly rubbery and it could be slipped over the neck of the guitar and positioned, as you want it. When it completely cures, it will shrink slightly and fit to the guitar.

Board index » Mold Making » General Mold-Making