Login    Forum    Members   Search    FAQ

Board index » Health Questions » Health Questions

Post subject: FAINTING!
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:05 pm 

I was reading this information about fainting the other day, and since fainting can be a serious problem for lifecasters, I thought I should bring it to your attention -

Fainting is caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain. When lifecasting models, the most common cause of loss of blood pressure is because leg and arm muscles are not used. Muscle movement aids in blood return to the heart. Stress can also cause fainting because it stimulates the Vagus nerve, which causes the heart rate to slow, resulting in a drop in blood pressure. If your model is dehydrated, blood volume is not sufficient to suffer the stress of standing in one place, and the result is a loss of blood pressure and increased risk of fainting.

There are things you can do to give your models' bodies an extra edge and reduce risks to certain types of fainting - keep your model calm, keep them well hydrated, and insist that they eat, so that their blood flow is directed to their stomach and away from their arms and legs. But remember, fainting can still happen, so keep alert to the signs.

Post subject: Re: FAINTING!
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:03 pm 

I constantly talk with the model, telling them what I'm doing. Always check their position while telling them to relax and breath normally because some models start breathing shallow even without locking knees. Some models are more claustrophobic than others, so it helps to keep talking to them to try to keep them at ease.
If your model does become slightly faint, immediately set her down onto the floor and removed the mold. Many factors can cause someone to pass out, such as the room being too hot, or the model being tired or tense. I always try to have an assistant to make the session as short as possible.
Also, models get faint when they do not eat something. They have to have their blood sugar up to stand in one place for that long. Being hydrated and not locking their knees are important, but have some juice or fruit on hand just in case. Some models do not want to eat before a session because they are afraid their stomach will stick out, but at least give them some juice which metabolizes quickly.
Keep it safe and "happy casting".

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:25 pm 

Be sure to ask your model if they have had a history of light-headedness or low-blood sugar. Pregnant models are more susceptible and require a watchful eye. Constantly speak to your model throughout the session and keep reminding her to breathe normally. Have a chair ready just in case.
Fainting can be caused by many reasons, such as remaining in the same position for too long, shallow breathing due to the increased weight of mold, and the anxiety of being life cast itself.
Watch out for the signs that your model may be feeling faint, such as complaining about getting warm, perspiring, and/or feeling dizzy. If your model starts to faint, immediately pull off the mold to help cool them down again. Always have an assistant ready to help hold the model and seat them in a chair. Also, its a good thing to having fluids such as orange juice readily available.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:47 pm 

I have a tilt table to support my models. On long poses, I rotate the model a few times to assist in the circulation and relaxation. If someone gets faint, just put them horizontal and let them rest a few minutes.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:49 am 

I also use a tilt table. The adavantage of the tilt table is that you can recline the model after the plaster bandages have set up enough to retain their shape but not enough to remove. Sometimes just tilting the table a few degrees dramatically increases the model's comfort. Also, keep in mind that not only fainting but nausea can occur. I always keep a bucket handy :)

Board index » Health Questions » Health Questions