Login    Forum    Members   Search    FAQ

Board index » Studio Space » Studio Space and Equipment

Post subject: Tilt table
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:02 pm 

Where can I buy a cheap tilt table for casting? I checked for one on ebay, but with no luck. Is there a company that sell used ones?

Post subject: Re: Tilt table
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:10 pm 

I use a tilt table. It’s really just personal preference. I have a manual crank. I can fine-tune the tilt angle by just turning the crank. Once I get a few layers of plaster on the model, I can easily tilt the table horizontal to relax the model while I reinforce the plaster shell.
You can just Google search it. That was how I found mine which is a Baily and it’s the cheapest I found anywhere.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:18 pm 

Unless you're looking to impress someone just make your own. I used a wide shelf board framed the back with 2x2's for strength and took a standard metal folding chair and used the back of it to latch into the rungs giving me a variable angled table. I added large angle brackets and a 1x12 for a footrest and it works perfectly well.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:40 pm 

At first, I was thinking of buying a Chiropractic table. Instead, while I was at Home Depot, I saw a lumber out-feed stand for saws that had a tilting feature and was also adjustable in height. It is made by RIGID and called "Flip Top". I bought 3 of those along with a 6' x 2' slab of 3/4' thick wood. I bolted it to this tilt surface of one of the stands, covered the wood with 3' thick foam and some fake leather upholstery. I took the other 2 adjustable stands to put at the head and foot and covered it with plastic, then laid another slab of old shelving on it for a work surface. It's accessible from all sides and can change the angles by raising or lowering the height of the stand that the table.

Added note - I found this information originally posted on the ALI Forum and thought it answered this question perfectly. I would like to acknowledge that the information came from Eaglewood.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:27 pm 

If you don't want to spend the money on a new tilt table (around $800) and don't want to build one, try calling local physical therapy centers and clinics. Sometimes they have old tilt tables that they want to get rid of cheap. Who cares what it looks like, as long as it works. You can easily re-pad one of these with vinyl purchased at a fabric store.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:17 pm 

Added note - I found this information originally posted on the ALI Forum and thought it answered this question perfectly. I would like to acknowledge that the information came from Eaglewood.[/quote]

You can email me for pictures of it also--Thanks for the referral Geronimo!!

Board index » Studio Space » Studio Space and Equipment