Login    Forum    Members   Search    FAQ

Board index » Mold Making » Babies, Children, & Animals

Post subject: Re: Hands & Feet Casting
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:27 pm 

Hey SuBee, if you still have too many bubbles left after tapping to mold, you may be mixing your plaster too vigorously, creating a lot of bubbles in the mix. When taking into consideration that it takes so long for your plaster to set, you may have extra moisture in your mold itself before casting. Make sure you allow any moisture to drain from your mold before pouring in the plaster and your de-molding time should lessen.

The alginate should come free from the plaster without the need to scratch it with your fingernail. A dental pick will help you remove small pieces that might get caught in the cracks.

When working with plaster, I like to use Spackle to fill in small air-bubbles that may occur and Elmer's Glue works great if a finger should break off.

Always seal plaster before attempting to paint it or the paint will peel away. I like to use shellac to seal plaster after it has thoroughly dried. Leveling can be done at any time after releasing the cured plaster cast from the mold, just make sure the surface is not damp before working with it.

Happy casting. ~ Joe

Post subject: Re: Hands & Feet Casting
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:45 pm 

subee wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I normally wet baby's hand before taking the mold. Sometime i forgot to shake off the the excess water on baby's hand. I guess, this might be the cause of the excess moisture. I will take note on this in my coming cast. ...

Normally, there is no need to wet the baby's hand beforehand.
On the rare occasion that the baby was born with premature body hair, use a skin cream instead of water.
Hope this helps.

Board index » Mold Making » Babies, Children, & Animals